History of the
Kingman Railroad Depot
The Kingman Railroad station has had four depots since the first train arrived on March 28, 1883. The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad used a boxcar as the first depot until a proper depot could be built.
The second depot was built in 1885 by the Atlantic and Pacific/Santa Fe Railways. This was a two-story wooden building with living space on the second floor for the station manager and his family. This depot burned down on April 28, 1900. It was said that hot cinders from a train's steam locomotive caused the fire.
The third depot was build by the Santa Fe Railway and opened its doors in December of 1900. It was a single-story wooden structure and it burned down on June 24,1906. Again, the fire was said to have been caused by sparks from the smoke stack of a passing steam locomotive.
The fourth depot is the current structure and it opened on July 22, 1907. Having lost the two previous depots to fire, the Santa Fe Railway built this depot to be fireproof. The building was constructed of reinforced concrete, including the roof! Then it received a stucco siding.
The Kingman depot was added to the National Register of Historic Places in May 1986.
By the early 2000's, the depot was in disrepair and unoccupied. With grant funding, restoration began in June of 2010 and was complete in 2011. Amtrak moved into the west end of the building as a crew room and passenger waiting room. The larger portion of the building houses the Kingman Railroad Museum, which opened in 2012.
Many very generous railfans throughout the United states and Canada have collected enough computer and radio equipment together to build a system that monitirs specific railroad signaling radio traffic. This data is then passed to the internet via servers. The ATCS monitor can then access the railroad's data and displays the activity of the railroad on your display. So I can sit in Arizona and watch CN traffic in Toronto in real time. It is important to understand that our fellow railfans who provide us with this ability do so at their own cost in time as well as in dollars for this we are very grateful.
Come and sit down with a book. Our library has many books about railroad history, model railroads, and picture books. In addition we have magazines about model railroads and real trains. You might also want to watch a video from our collection
This is the tag on the electric motor that pumped water from the tender to the boiler on Santa Fe 3759, which is the steam locomotive that is in the park across the street from The Powerhouse. Come in and see the rest of it.
This drill was used to drill holes in the rail where they were joined together with plates. It dates back to about 1915 . It must have taken quite a bit of time to do considering it is all manual.
These were the tools of the trade back in the day. Most of the work is now done by machinery
Our N Scale display